AFTER CRANIOTOMY FOR ARTERIO-VENOUS MALFORMATION (AVM)
- You will be admitted to ICU for observation and to keep the blood pressure on the low side ( mean arterial pressure less than 90 mm Hg) to prevent postoperative haemorrhage.
- You will be given analgesics as needed.
- You will be given 3 doses of intravenous antibiotics.
- You will have a postoperative catheter cerebral angiogram through groin injection and brain CT scan the next day.
- The nurse will conduct neuro-observation on a regular basis.
- You will be able to move around from day one unless instructed not to. The average hospital stay after excision of AVM is 10-14 days.
- You will need to visit your family doctor in one week to check on the wound, and to see Dr Darwish in 4 weeks unless informed otherwise.